Or maybe not so much... James and I were enjoying some delicious brownies with cherry bordeaux ice cream last night, which was something I had been looking forward to-- it just had sounded so delicious! I had been enjoying this Betty Crocker Brownie--a treat that I had grown up with-- with my cherry bordeaux ice cream, and I bit into a piece of brownie, and felt a umm... strange texture. It felt sort of like a nut, but sort of rubbery-ish, too. (I knew I was chewing on brownie and not ice cream at the time, too.) SO, I take this thing out of my mouth, and with a completely disgusted look on my face, after discovering what it was, and say, "It's a BUG!" James didn't believe me at first, and was like, "Are you sure?" and after I examined it for a minute, I say, "Yes. It has legs... and little hairy-ish looking things on it!" I wanted to throw up. Remember, I grew up eating these brownies. My dad LOVES them... I don't know if I remember my parents buying any other kind. Anyways, I continued examining this little... thing... not even sure what kind of bug it was, and James says, "Maybe it's like a piece of someone's finger or something." I gave him another disgusted, I might throw up look. I knew it was a bug though. SO, after calling my dad and telling him about my disappointment with my find (and Dad said, "That's gross... It's almost hilarious, but gross.") I decided to put the little guy in a ziplock in case-- after I call Betty Crocker and complain about my disgusting find-- I need to send it in to them as proof. James said, "Do you need to get your camera out and document this?" I say, "Hmm... Maybe I should..." So we took the guy and put him back in the bowl to document this sad, gross event. I'll let you know what happens after I contact Betty Crocker. Here are the pictures for now...
Yep. That little guy above and to the left of my spoon was IN MY MOUTH! YUCK! I'm just glad I didn't crunch THROUGH him!
Closer... see the distinction between body and head?
Another view. You can kind of see his leg-ish things in this one.
Closeup of Mr. Bug by himself. You will clearly see that it IS a bug. (You may or may not have to click on the picture so you can see it bigger...) Don't know what kind, but a bug no less. YUCK! I think it's going to be a while before I can bring myself to buy Betty Crocker Brownies again!

5 comments:
OH YUCK! I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Are you sure the bug wasn't from your house? We still have some betty crocker brownies in our storage I think. You should check your brownie mix before you add the other ingredients! Did you finish your brownie and ice cream? love you!
Haha. Yeah, Nae. I'm sure. I've never seen whatever kind of bug it was, and I didn't buy the brownies very long ago... like 2 weeks ago, is all! The bag/box was fine, and all you add to brownies is oil, water, and eggs. I still have the bug in a ziplock if you wanna see it sometime! :)
My suprise in the brownies was thin and wide, like half the palm of your hand. It was white and rubbery so our best guess is that the egg whites didn't get mixed in very well and cooked into a mini pancake. Not NEARLY as gross as your bug. It makes me gag. . . .bleh. We aren't quite sure what it really was, but I know it didn't have legs!!
Crissa, I don't think that's a bug. I think it's the thing in the egg I like to call, "Rooster Sperm" which is actually, I think, the chromosome part of the cell (you know that weird, gross, white thing that you can't get off the egg but you don't really want to eat?). I think it's that, just cooked into a bug type of shape. Think about it- if it were a bug, it wouldn't be rubbery, it'd be crunchy because of the exoskeleton. Also, it's not perfectly symmetrical like a bug should be. Still, I understand your disgust. I get pretty squeamish about unexpected things in my food, regardless of what they may turn out to be.
Post a Comment